Finally done with my Rainbow Pockets quilt…both of them! I made them as a gift for my friends’ children – two wonderful twin girls who said they wanted a rainbow quilt. They might as well have said “make it as colourful as us” !
So herebelow is the journey from this (594 half-square triangles)…..
……to two twin sized quilts, measuring 60″ x 84″
Took me a month to finish both the quilts. The hardest and most boring part was ironing …iron the HSTs , iron after every join, every stitch ….really boring! Also designing the layout of the quilt such that there appears to be a gradient of colour from dark to light, yet maintain the presence of all colours throughout the quilt, not allowing any single colour to dominate the scene was a little bit of a challenge for me. I have never worked with such a bright assortment of colours and it took me a few tries of arranging and re-arranging the HSTs in a design that I loved.
The next challenge was moving it to the sewing table without disrupting the sequence. A daunting task, it seemed! Until I realised the solution was right in front of me! I was making a rainbow quilt….so I used rainbow coloured straight pins , pinning two at a time, in the VIBGYOR order , stacking them in the same order and moved them to the sewing table. I also retained the pins while ironing, and then laid them out in the same position as they were. And I worked on both quilts at the same time …I had the other set of HSTs right by my sewing machine, and duplicated whatever pieces were being joined. So I thereby saved a lot of time that would’ve been spent in laying out the pieces again in the right order.
This was the first time I added a label to one of my creations….a label of my own design, and personalised. Here is my label
And here it is, all sewn up
Thank you for reading this post on the making of my Rainbow Pockets quilts. Please press the Like button if you liked it. All comments are welcome!